Our unique combination of Music and Maths specialisms give pupils the best opportunities to succeed both academically and socially, supporting all areas of the curriculum.
As a specialist Music and Mathematics school, provision for talented musicians and mathematicians is outstanding. Every year, both departments consistently achieve excellent examination results at GCSE and A level.
Musicians benefit from high quality resources and extra-curricular activities such as concert band, orchestra, jazz groups, choir, musical theatre, trips to West End theatres, ENO and Royal Opera House. They also have the opportunity to perform at the Royal Festival Hall and attend an annual music tour abroad. Recent trips have included Lake Garda, Bruges, Tuscany and Malta. We have experienced mentors for expert guidance with University and Conservatoire applications, including Oxbridge.
“Being a music scholar at Saint Cecilia’s is very enjoyable, and no matter what style of music you are interested in, everyone makes you feel welcome. The older years took us in from the very start, and we learned quickly about the expectations as music scholars. I can say that school life is not that different from other students’, but we may use some of our time contributing to the music department, such as being in Choir or playing in Concert band, a few of the many clubs on offer here. We are also given the chance to go on trips to see operas, musicals and, of course, the annual tour, which is when we go to a different country to do what we enjoy best – music!” Katarina, Music scholar
We adopt the Shanghai Maths Mastery style of teaching – mathematical concepts are covered methodically and in great depth in every lesson. This revolutionary method of teaching equips pupils with a long lasting understanding of Maths. We are also a Secondary Beacon School for the London South West Maths Hub. We host regular Maths ‘Open Days’ in which staff from other schools are invited to Saint Cecilia’s to observe best practice in this field.
Our aim as a specialist school:
- Develop excellent teaching and learning in Music and Mathematics and share this expertise with other curriculum areas, thus raising the attainment of all pupils.
- Recruit and develop excellent teachers.
- Work with professional artists, musicians and mathematicians to give our pupils and sixth formers a broad learning experience in Music and Maths.
- Offer a wide range of Music and Mathematics courses through our Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 curriculum offer.
- Develop and deliver cross-curricular work with other curriculum areas in the school, utilising teaching and learning styles developed in the Music and Mathematics departments.